I’ve been taking photographs since I was a teenager – and taking them in black and white for more than 35 years. I 'graduated' to large format 5x4 photography in 1994 and since then that's where my photographic energies have been concentrated. My main subject matter is the landscape and its 'micro-landscapes' though I've recently developed a strong interest in photographing in churches and cathedrals. The first entry in this blog (May 2009 - "Tomorrow ...") will tell you what my blog is all about. You'll find much more of my work on my website at: www.virtuallygrey.co.uk The B&W images from my blog are linked here. Prints of the black & white images are available for purchase. If you are interested, please follow the 'Print Sales' link on my website. The colour images are from my little digital camera and are not for sale. If you'd like to contact me by email then please do so via the 'Contact' link on my website at: www.virtuallygrey.co.uk/contact.html
All photographs and all other content in this blog are Copyright © 2012 Stephen J Gledhill

Thursday 27 August 2009

#14: Stroudwater Navigation Canal - Nympsfield Long Barrow

Old Style Stile - with a teepee on the horizon!

Himalayan Balsam

All Saints Church - Selsley

This stretch of the Cotswold way offers two alternative routes from Ryeford (where the Stroudwater Navigation Canal passes through) which split and rejoin, the western route being 1.5 miles whilst the eastern route is 3.5 miles making a 5 mile loop. As I'm walking The Way in both directions I chose to walk them both as a clockwise loop. The eastern route turns south off from the canal towpath and takes a route that leads into a field that eventually passes Ebley Mill. That field is one to take note of for two reasons. As I enetered the field I had my second bull encounter along the Cotswold Way. This time I saw it in plenty of time, saw that he had his six wives with him (and no calves), and I concluded that he was more interested in scratching his leg that chasing me. So I chanced it - and I was totally ignored - whew. At the far end of the field was an incredibly churned up thick gloopy muddy couple of hundred yards which had been liberally supplemented by the cattle and which I couldn't avoid. So, a lot of scraping and cleaning at the far side was called for.

I'd anticipated some interesting photography in All Saints Church at Selsley so I was very disappointed to find that it was under wraps for roof repair. Strictly no admittance whilst work was in progress. It is a church associated with the Arts & Crafts movement so I was hopeful of something a little different. I'll have to return.

I first became aware of Himalayan Balsam about 30 years ago when I saw a few plants alondside a local river. Now it grows profusely along so many of our river banks and damp boggy areas. It shows just how successful an invading species can be away from its home.

I'm looking forward to processing a couple of today's b&w images - one of a disused quarry whilst the other is a conventional landscape view - clouds and fields. I keep hoping that one day there'll be absolutely no breeze whilst I'm walking past a bank of hartstongue ferns. There have been a few banks of these beautifully photogenic ferns along the way, but they've always been swaying. And as they grow in very shaded areas a slow shutter speed is always needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment