I’ve been taking photographs since I was a teenager – and taking them in black and white for more than 35 years. I 'graduated' to large format 5x4 photography in 1994 and since then that's where my photographic energies have been concentrated. My main subject matter is the landscape and its 'micro-landscapes' though I've recently developed a strong interest in photographing in churches and cathedrals. The first entry in this blog (May 2009 - "Tomorrow ...") will tell you what my blog is all about. You'll find much more of my work on my website at: www.virtuallygrey.co.uk The B&W images from my blog are linked here. Prints of the black & white images are available for purchase. If you are interested, please follow the 'Print Sales' link on my website. The colour images are from my little digital camera and are not for sale. If you'd like to contact me by email then please do so via the 'Contact' link on my website at: www.virtuallygrey.co.uk/contact.html
All photographs and all other content in this blog are Copyright © 2012 Stephen J Gledhill

Thursday 17 September 2009

#17: North Nibley - Wortley Hill

My Camera at the top of the Tyndale Monument

Spiral Staircase - The Tyndale Monument

Victoria's Jubilee Clock - Wotton under Edge

A relatively short walk today but quite productive for my B&W images. The Tyndale Monument was open and I hauled my heavy backpack up the increasingly narrow spiral staircase. There must have been 150 steps to the top. Very rewarding views at the top and I think I found an excellent B&W shot but as usual I'll have to wait and see.

I've been surprised how few people I've seen as I've traversed the Cotswold Way - but today on the stretch between Wotton under Edge and the Tyndale Monument I'm sure I saw far more than on any previous day. Joggers, couples, mums with toddlers and pushchairs, many with dogs either on or off the lead, as well as several hardened walkers going 'all-the-way'. It seems to be a very popular stretch with local walkers out for a shortish stroll as it's an easy and very level stretch making a welcome relief from the more challenging sections. A little further on I met a group of walkers who I previously met a couple of weeks ago further north - hello again!

One of the hazards with my kind of photography arises from the fact that whilst I'm working with my camera my camera bag and other equipment lies open on the ground. The hazard is that it seems to be a magnet for dogs to come sniffing around. And you know what they do! I've been lucky as it's actually never happened to me though there was a near miss today! But I have seen a photographer have the expensive contents of his bag liberally annointed. I dread to think of my reaction to having thousands of pounds worth of equipment treated that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment