I’ve been taking photographs since I was a teenager – and taking them in black and white for more than 35 years. I 'graduated' to large format 5x4 photography in 1994 and since then that's where my photographic energies have been concentrated. My main subject matter is the landscape and its 'micro-landscapes' though I've recently developed a strong interest in photographing in churches and cathedrals. The first entry in this blog (May 2009 - "Tomorrow ...") will tell you what my blog is all about. You'll find much more of my work on my website at: www.virtuallygrey.co.uk The B&W images from my blog are linked here. Prints of the black & white images are available for purchase. If you are interested, please follow the 'Print Sales' link on my website. The colour images are from my little digital camera and are not for sale. If you'd like to contact me by email then please do so via the 'Contact' link on my website at: www.virtuallygrey.co.uk/contact.html
All photographs and all other content in this blog are Copyright © 2012 Stephen J Gledhill

Thursday 8 October 2009

#20: Old Sodbury - Dyrham

Sheep & Strip Lynchets - Frenchpiece Wood

The Ceysell Brass - Tormarton Church

XXIII to Cirencester, XIII to Tetbury, X to Bath

Kissing Gate at Dawn

Mixed feelings about today's walk. Firstly, it was a most beautiful early morning with the sun rising on mist in the hollows and the first frost of the year was very welcome, photographically speaking. So, lots of potential photography to be had - but I was still in the car and didn't arrive at my start point until some of the best light had dissipated. Another lesson for me though it's not as if I don't know it. But I did find one lovely backlit group of trees which I photographed in b&w just in time. When I first saw the scene there were dozens of backlit woolly sheep which would have made the picture even more appealing - but after a couple of minutes of frantically setting up the tripod and camera, loading the film, metering the scene the sheep count on the ground glass was down to just two or three. I wish I could have done what Alfred Hitchcock did with "The Birds" - he's quoted as saying in response to a question about how did he get them to do what he wanted, he replied "I paid them well".

The Ceysell Brass in Tormarton Church is beautiful, but easily missed. It's hidden under the blue carpet to the left of the entance - slide the carpet to reveal all. I have a close up b&w photograph of the organ pipes in the church that I'm looking forward to seeing.

Once over the M4 motorway there is a stretch of perhaps 3 of miles or more of very boring walking along the edge of large farm fields with almost nothing to rival the scenery of most of the rest of the walk from Chipping Campden.

I'm finding the limits of the capability of my knees whilst carrying my heavy camera backpack, and today's 12 or 13 miles was a bit too much. I need to throttle back a little to my more usual eight or nine miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment